Tuesday, October 1, 2013

So, you want to be a travel writer? Or you want to be a writer to support your journey around the world? To some, it seems like the jackpot, a dream come true. To others, it seems too far fetched or even the dreaded, impossible.

Let me tell you something.

It's possible and easier than you could ever imagine. I got my first dip in a small town in Northern Thailand, about four years ago. While I was looking for a guest house, I was approached by an owner. He asked me to edit the web content on his business's website, in exchange for a free night of accommodation and grub. I took the opportunity. Even though I wasn't paid cash, the trade was great, especially for a traveler.

Let's jump ahead a few years and a country to Malaysia. In Kuala Lumpur, there are a plethora of international universities with many students from around the world whose first language isn't English, but they are required to complete their studies in the language. This brought me the opportunity to edit a lot, and I mean a lot, of papers, all at a reasonable price.

The opportunities to write your way around the world are limitless, and the best part is you don't even have to be a traditional travel writer. While you can write guides, you can also write about anything else. Maybe you're a foodie, and you travel just for the sake of food. Write recipes, write cookbooks.

Or maybe you're the adventure travel type, always looking for a new mountain to climb or sea to surf. Write about the travel gear you use. Many companies are looking people's first hand experiences about their gear. I've meet several Sociology and Anthropology students who were traveling to write research. Whatever your thing is, own it, use it, and write about it.

The best way to find writing opportunities is to check local newspapers and websites for job listings. You can even write remotely, from anywhere. Amazing! Check out these websites for daily listings:


By Jessie ~ The DFR

1 comments: