Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Can you please introduce yourself?

I'm originally from Scotland but spent all my adult life in London until I moved to Dubai 5 years ago, four months ago I moved to Chiang Mai.  I dreamt about travelling since I was a child and I've been lucky enough to visit over 50 countries so far.  I love the outdoors and especially trekking, kayaking and cycling.  I'm not so keen on running but do it for the mental challenge and last year ran my first marathon in Singapore.  I plan to do KL marathon next year.


You're new to Chiang Mai, how do you find it?
I'm loving life here in Chiang Mai.  I really, really did not want to leave Dubai but life here is great and being here in the summer was a lot more comfortable than being in Dubai's 40+ temperature and unbelievable humidity.



Best spots to chill
Huai Tueng Thao Lake is lovely.  I like to walk the 3km around the lake then have a drink and something to eat on the little covered platforms that jut out into the lake above the water, so relaxing.  I also like Freebird Cafe Best a lot - see next answer for why!
Everybody raves about street food but I don't eat it as I'm vegetarian and most Thai food isn't and they put fish sauce in lots of it.  But I'm currently working my way around the vegetarian restaurants here and so far my favourite is Free Bird  cafe on the north side of the moat.  Not only is their food delicious but all the profit go to a charity which supports Burmese refugees which I think is great.

Do you like Khao Soy?
I've tasted it twice, once in a very basic, local cafe in the town of Fang and I wasn't so keen.  Second time was in Aum vegetarian restaurant at Thapae gate and I found it a big rich and sickly.  But I'm going to try it once more at a different restaurant!

What inspired you to keep a blog?
My inspiration for the blog was to write about starting a new life in Chiang Mai, I wanted to provide information for people who are doing that.  I have written posts on finding a place to live, getting things like internet and cable set up and also keeping fit here.  I haven't posted these yet but they will be going up soon.


What are your future plans for blogging and life in Chiang Mai?
My immediate aim for the blog is to go self hosted and off of Wordpress but I'm having technical issues with this.  For life in Chiang Mai I plan to set up my own business (I'm a hypnotherapist, that is I use hypnosis to help people address problems they have) and do a Thai language course.   I also plan to explore Thailand more and do another stay at the temple I've twice stayed at to further my knowledge of Buddhism and work on my meditation.
My next travel plan is taking the slow boat to Luang Prabang in Laos in four days' time, really looking forward to that adventure!




0 comments:

Post a Comment